Posted by: Manhattan LASIK Center
DO’s after Lasik surgery
WebMD says that eating a healthy meal before your initial visit, the day of your procedure, and for the six-month healing time is one of the best ways to promote a healthy healing environment for your eyes. You should opt for a wide range of fruits and vegetables so that you get Vitamins A and C, as well as Omega 3 fatty acids found in salmon, mackerel, and tuna. You should also drink plenty of water to promote healing through proper hydration.
Other important things to DO after Lasik
Wearing sunglasses when outside during the day and shields (or protective eyewear) when playing sports is recommended by all Lasik specialists. Most people will need to refrain from sports for a few weeks after their Lasik surgery. The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends that people use sunglasses that are tested to block 99 percent of ultraviolet light, ground and polished, polarized, dark, and wrap around the eye for total protection. They also suggest that people use gradient glasses or those with a mirrored finish. Blue-blocking and infrared blocking sunglasses are also beneficial for protecting the eyes. Making sure to go to all of your scheduled follow-up appointments is recommended by experts.
Experts say DO NOT
• Take a shower or wash your hair for 24-hours after surgery
• Wear makeup, lotion, or use face creams for at least a week after Lasik eye surgery
• Rub your eyes for at least a month to avoid displacing the cornea flap
• Get perms or dye your hair for at least ten days after your procedure
• Go near dusty or dirty environments that could let allergens or particles get into the eye
• Get in a swimming pool, hot tub, or sauna for at least a week after Lasik surgery
The surgeon’s office will give you a packet of information that tells you all of their recommendations. They will also go over the instructions with you before you leave on the day of surgery. By following the advice of the specialist, you will see improvements for as long as six months after your procedure.